Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reading Materials

As I open the door the Barnes &  Noble or Borders I often look forward to the wide variety of books, stationary, and knick knacks. Above all I look most forward to picking up a fashion magazine. I may read it I may not. The main purpose to me is to be taken away and to be hopefully mesmerized by each glossy or matte page I flip through. I love how the fashion photography tells a story, and sells the merchandise in such a beautiful way. I appreciate the art. I gaze at the construction of garments, try to figure out how its made ..almost like putting together a puzzle. I hunt for something unusual to catch my eye, anything to feed my creativity. After I find my buried treasure and take the material home I may eventually rip several pages out and add it to my latest project. These texts become an addition to my collection.

The anticipation I hold on to as I cross the street, walk up the curb, onto the sidewalk ..into the store and the experience I have while I am there may only become a distant memory in twenty years or so. As these new "smart" devices or e-readers "dominate" the electronics market ...newspapers and magazines get thinner and thinner.
...It seems like such a great joy for my grandfather to open the morning's paper and read his favorite section with his cup of coffee... And what a joy it is to discover antique fashion magazines and to realize this was their favorite thing to look at back then and those clothes were "in" and trend setting.

..Well enough for nostalgia and that experience..right? ..who needs that?!

America..We need the latest gadget!

0 comments:

Blog contents © Kiss Me I'm Stylish 2009. Blogger Template by Nymphont.