Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Heritage of Fashion

 
This is a beginning of a series of fashion and photography that is very much part of me...part of my story. Everyone has a story. In the media I view stories describing something that is not my own. I can relate sometimes but there are things missing, elements that are untouched. There is a community of people where our stories are not being told. Then there are other stories that are being told where my culture is not put in the most positive light either through stereotypes or misrepresentation. 

Instead of me just talking about it I would rather be about it. I want to contribute my story, the story that hasn't been told in its fullest form. I will do this through photography and the fashion of my family. As a forth generation American, my story in this country may not be as old or as young as others. Our story began here in the earlier part of this last century. 

This series is a journey where I will be learning more about myself as well. I enjoy learning more about who I am through my past. In college I wrote a paper about my family's migration to Michigan and how it started from Mexico and Texas. I was able to interview my grandparents and even my great- grand mother who has now past away. That experience was invaluable. There are some things in life that you only have a certain amount of time to do..like ask your ancestors questions and get them answered. I am excited not only to dissect their fashion but the history that goes along with it.

(So here we go...)This is a photo of my grandmother, the person behind The Gregoria tie. This photo is from an era where people were changing their Latin names in Hollywood to be more 'American', to blend in and to be more marketable. Some of these celebrities were Rita Hayworth and Ritchie Valens. At this very same time my family kept their Spanish names and were living out their American Dream. The pictures of my grandmother when she was younger remind me so much of my sister.



0 comments:

Blog contents © Kiss Me I'm Stylish 2009. Blogger Template by Nymphont.