Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trash Dress




Here is my finished product! I provided a video that captured the process of creating this piece. By creating this gown I materialized the method of sustainable design. This design is conceptual, it can be worn, and it is art. The gown is made of some pieces of bubble wrap, Siran wrap, a vegetable bag, plastic packaging, but mostly shopping bags and trash bags. The gown is constructed much like a gown made of fabric..it has seam allowances and they were melted together instead of sewn together.  I researched many trash materials but these allowed me to create this gown with more ease.

My first draft of the under structure did not go as planned. All of the thin pattern pieces were shrinking because of all the heat involved in melting the seams together. After this I made the under structure very thick and stable. This made the fitted torso portion much like a corset or armor!

When making a sustainable gown or any other types of garments there are some things to consider in order to make something that is truly sustainable. The materials have to be made in a way that doesn't harm the environment. In my case I used trash which does harm the environment and by making something out of trash I am keeping the materials away from landfills. The grommets I used as closures are not sustainable because I bought them at a local store. The 2nd use for this garment is an art piece to be displayed. The construction was not sustainable because I used electricity and water to create it. At the end of the day nothing can be 100% sustainable but the goal is to have a percentage of 75% and my gown is 82% sustainable.    

0 comments:

Blog contents © Kiss Me I'm Stylish 2009. Blogger Template by Nymphont.