Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Catalyst

So the last few months have been in one word...'change'. I am very thankful for everything that has happened, is happening, and that will happen. I can't fully express in words how I feel about what is going on, other than one word: amazing. What is going on is amazing. God is so amazing. I have seen him change things and create things that would not be possible without his hand in it. At this point I am going to have faith in the unseen.  I'm going to have faith in the 'Impossible' because Jesus specializes in the impossible. He specializes in using experiences to better us, and to refine us.

One change that has occurred is my sudden fascination with men's wear. For the longest time I thought my main focus in design would be women's wear. Maybe I would dabble in a few things here and there but mostly just women's. I did a lot of brainstorming over the winter, some experimenting. It wasn't until March things started shifting. I was asked to create 2 ties for Rachelle Romanowski Willnus, they were to be modeled at her Kentucky Derby Event. That was when the 'dabble' would become much more.

I decided I was going to challenge what I knew about ties, what was expected; and take it to the next level. I like bending the rules, I like manipulating the idea of what is traditional to create something out of the box. There is nothing wrong with traditional...it has it's purposes but part of my brain tells me "Go Avant garde!!!" So I questioned design. What is masculine? What is feminine? What separates those two ideas? I solved the problem I created for myself...which I tend to enjoy. I created the first 2 of my casual ties.

After that I challenged myself more, creating over 15 ties. I was determined to find the art history in my work. I was willing to make mistakes, and to discover something unusual. And here we are in June. I find myself excited for what is to come of this change.

0 comments:

Blog contents © Kiss Me I'm Stylish 2009. Blogger Template by Nymphont.